Friends of the Orphans is dedicated to improving the lives of orphaned, abandoned and disadvantaged children through the support of the Nuestros Pequeños Hermanos (NPH, Spanish for "Our Little Brothers and Sisters") network of orphanages in Latin America and the Caribbean.
What We Aspire to:
What Makes Us Unique
- Creating families for life through values of unconditional love, shared responsibility and education.
- Enabling children to grow into caring and productive members of their communities – to multiply the change that you, as supporters, are helping to make.
- Enhancing our supporter’s lives by helping them make a difference in the lives of our children.
- Our children receive direct physical, emotional and spiritual support on a long-term basis.
- Our children are not available for adoption – they are given the security and the sense of belonging as they are being welcomed into a family for life.
- Our children have daily chores, such as dusting, mopping, cooking or farming. This teaches them responsibility and they find pride in helping their family in this way.
- Our children are given a quality education and have the opportunity to pursue a trade or university degree.
- Our children give back a year or more of service to their brothers and sisters, to share the responsibility of raising the family.
Friends of the Orphans supports NPH through fundraising and volunteer efforts. The organization is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. In addition to our national office located in Illinois, we have six regional offices, each of which has its own volunteer Board of Directors. The members of our boards have diverse professional backgrounds and expertise, but each actively works to raise funds for and awareness of Friends of the Orphans and our mission.
Friends of the Orphans is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation, Federal Tax ID# 65-1229309. Donations are tax deductible to the extent provided by law. All donated funds are diligently appropriated and an audited financial statement is available upon request.
Friends of the Orphans is awarded FOUR STARS by Charity Navigator for our responsible stewardship of donor funds and meets all 20 of the Better Business Bureau's standards for charity accountability.
More financial information
Friends/NPH Connection Fact Sheet
at a Glance
||number of stars received from Charity Navigator
||number of years since founding in the U.S.
||percent of our resources spent on programs over the last three years
||countries being impacted by our work
||children being raised at our homes
||external students supported through educational programs
||children assisted since founding of NPH
||people served through outreach programs in 2012